May 5, 2009 by DJ Elroy
Release Date: Available Now Digitally
dubSpot Debuts Charitable Mix CD Series with
Funk Aid for Africa
First Release Benefits Humanitarian Organization NextAid
dubSpot, New York City’s one-of-a-kind electronic music production and DJ training institute, has undertaken its first nationwide philanthropic project with a series of charitable mix CDs. The first, Funk Aid for Africa, will benefit Los Angeles-based humanitarian organization NextAid. An inspired collage of funk, soul, and Latin tunes created by DJ OBaH, Funk Aid for Africa features songs by twenty different artists including Ticklah, Ursula Rucker, King Britt, Chico Mann, The Lions, & Ocote Soul Sounds. This series of dubSpot-produced benefit compilations will raise funds for various projects by harnessing the positive power of music. The goal for this compilation is to raise awareness and much needed funds for African children orphaned by the AIDS crisis. BFM Digital, Inc. is on board to digitally distribute the release globally.
The nationwide release party is scheduled for May 7, 2009 at the Elbo Room in San Francisco (647 Valencia St., SF, CA 94110) featuring J Boogie, DJ OBaH, Happy Mayfield (live), and the Pleasuremaker Band. For more information on this release and the event, please visit http://www.funkaid.com. For more information on dubSpot, please visit www.dubspot.com.
Dan Giove, the founder of dubSpot, has always believed that education is fundamentally steeped in the ethics of altruism and selflessness. Much of the musical community shares in this feeling; it’s just not about the individual. It is in this spirit that all of the musicians involved with the Funk Aid mix have generously donated their art and their time in deference to a greater cause. Most important, 100% of the proceeds from the sale of this compilation are going directly to charity. These funds will aid in the construction a ‘green’ environment, including a playground and nursery school, for the children of Youth with a Vision (YWAV), a South African organization that runs AIDS prevention programs in Dennilton, South Africa. These facilities are part of NextAid’s and YWAV’s 20 structure children’s village that will house 30 children orphaned by AIDS, an after-school center for hundreds of children living off site, and an economic hub for the surrounding community.
Funk Aid has been incredibly well received by the musical community, both for its motives and its quality. Gunnar Hissam of Om Records says that “Funk Aid for Africa is everything a good mix CD should be, funky, uplifting and for the children. Props go out to all the musicians for donating the amazing music and for dubSpot and NextAid for making it all happen. God bless you!”
The May 7th event will mark the first leg of an 8-city DubSpot tour. The ‘Ableton Live 8 U.S. Sessions Tour,’ is a series of weekend workshops designed to showcase the best of what dubSpot’s school has to offer. With multiple sections planned each day, these presentations will feature dubSpot instructors and nationally renowned artists alike. Each session will detail the essentials of musical production and performance, while using the most advanced production software available: Ableton Live 8. For a complete listing of the SF dubSpot/Ableton events taking place from May 7th – May 10th, please check out: www.dubspot.com/pages/abletontour.jsp.
Funk Aid for Africa Tracklisting:
1. Ocote Soul Sounds – ‘Contra El Sol’ / ESL Records
2. The Lions – ‘Jungle Struttin’’ / Ubiquity Records
3. The Pimps Of Joytime – ‘San Francisco Bound’ (Remix By DJ Obah) / Wonderwheel Recordings
4. DJ Kiva – ‘A Walk In Broken Shade’ Feat. Afra Behn
5. Dario Boente & Huge In Japan – ‘Pasado Pisado’
6. Amayo’s Fu-Arkist-Ra – ‘Fist Of Flowers’
7. Ticklah – ‘Mi Sonsito’ Feat. Mayra Vega / Easy Star Records
8. Tm Juke And The Jack Baker Trio – ‘Party Favours’ Feat. Gecko Turner / Tru Thoughts Recordings
9. Nappy G – ‘Habanaha’
10. Ursula Rucker – ‘Electric Santeria’ (Remix By King Britt) / Five Six Media
11. Kokolo Afrobeat Orchestra – ‘Sabroso’ (Remix By Sabo & Zeb)
12. The Pleasuremaker Band – ‘What We Came’
13. 7 Miles Per Hour Band – ‘Latin Freak’ / Kay-Dee Records
14. Happy Mayfield – ‘Jesse James’
15. Chico Mann – ‘Ease On Out’
16. J Boogie’s Dubtronic Science – ‘Together’ Feat. Jennifer Johns / Om Records
17. Sbirrofunk – ‘Nostalgicdreamsong’
18. Daisuke Naito – ‘Leopard’
19. Meta & The Cornerstones – ‘Hasta La Vista’ / 54 Soundz Llc
20. El Pueblo – ‘Ina Funky Dub’
For more information on this release, please visit www.funkaid.com.
For more information on dubSpot, please visit www.dubspot.com.